Ostap Semerak joins Vasil Kisil & Partners as a Partner
Ostap Semerak joins the the firm’s partnership team and will develop the firm’s public advocacy practice.
Mr. Semerak has significant experience in public administration and lawmaking: he was a member of the Ukrainian Parliament of the 6th convocation (Budget Committee) and the 8th convocation (European Integration Committee). From 2014 to 2016 he was the Co-Chair of the EU-Ukraine Parliamentary Association Committee. From 2014, he served as the Minister of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, and from 2016 to 2019, he was the Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine.
As an MP, he sponsored a number of draft laws passed by the Verkhovna Rada, including, in particular, laws on:
- Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Prevention and Counteraction of Political Corruption (on Public Financing of Political Parties);
- State Support of Cinematography in Ukraine; and
- Amendments to the Criminal Code of Ukraine (Improving Protection of Professional Journalistic Activities).
As the Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine, he sponsored passing of the laws drafted by the Ministry to harmonize Ukrainian legislation with EU law, including laws on:
- Environmental Impact Assessment;
- Strategic Environmental Assessement;
- Fundamental Principles of Monitoring, Reporting and Verification of Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
Andriy Stelmashchuk, Managing Partner, commented: “We welcome Ostap Semerak as our new Partner at Vasil Kisil & Partners. Mr. Semerak’s experience in the public sector and lawmaking will strengthen our public advocacy practice. The range of services for our clients in this area will include advising on overcoming barriers for investment in Ukraine, drafting and advocating regulations, civilized lobbying in Ukraine and abroad.”
Ostap Semerak noted: “I am glad to join Vasil Kisil & Partners – a renowned law firm with high ethical and professional principles that I also share. By pooling our efforts and expertise, we will provide Ukrainian and foreign clients with the support and solutions necessary to resolve their business problems both at the national and international levels throughfair and legitimate practices.”